Monday, April 1, 2013

2013 MLB Season Preview

The new baseball season is upon us. That means a lot of excitement for opening day, people forgetting about baseball through the rest of April, May, June, July, August, and most of September, and then more excitement for the playoff race until October begins.



The best part of a new season is the knowledge that afternoon baseball will be played on the weekends for your afternoon naps. There is no better background to lull you to sleep quite like the steady monotonous stream of called balls and strikes over the inane chatter between commentators as they struggle to entertain the few people actually listening to them. The ability to throw on a game, fall asleep, and wake up to the same game because they are just that long, is incredibly comforting for some reason.



I’m not trying to take anything away from Major League Baseball. I love the game. I love the strategy involved with playing it. I love the food and beer at the stadiums. I especially love that the manager wears the same uniform as the players (imagine a hockey coach decked out in full equipment standing on the bench for the entire game. Or even a football coach with shoulder pads on)



I just have a hard time watching it without falling asleep or choosing something else to do. That’s not necessarily the case for live games. I get really excited for the opportunity to go to a game. I usually even stay really excited for at least the first three innings. Then I start wondering how long I have to stay without feeling bad for taking off early. I usually redeem myself by watching the abbreviated highlights at least twice, but I guess I’m just not one of those devoted bleacher rats with the self-confidence to wear radio headphones and the patience to stay for the whole nine innings. Maybe I never will be. Or maybe faster and more entertaining sports just ruined any chances I had to become a true baseball fan.  



I guess this wasn’t much of a season preview so I’ll conclude with my World Series pick.

If they were in the league, the 1992 Springfield Isotopes but that is impossible as they play softball, are fictional, and based in a cartoon world of comedic genius.



My real pick: The Toronto Blue Jays. Why? They spent a lot of money in the winter and I like teams named after colourful birds. Also, I’m from Toronto. 


No comments:

Post a Comment